Success: Cauliflower Fried Rice

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Cauliflower Fried Rice

As part of an effort to fit back into all my pants, I've cut grains & dairy from my at-home eating habits. And have switched all my at-home snacking to pretty much just fruits, nuts, and chocolate (impossible to give up). These just seemed like a fairly straightforward way to cut extra carbs, while still being able to fill up on veggies, fruits, nuts, and meat. However, this put in danger one of our weekly meal staples, fried rice. Thankfully, the world seems to have found an alternative to rice in your fried rice. And it's not nearly as horrifying terrible as it sounds. Cauliflower fried rice.

So, I attempted this cauliflower fried rice, and one head of cauliflower produces way more "rice" kernels than I usually use, so I even had some leftover cauliflower couscous to serve with some broccolini. The fried rice came out quite fine, bordering on tasty. All the ginger and soy sauce really helped flavor the otherwise flavorless cauliflower rice. The cauliflower couscous, when cooked in olive oil, is quite bland as well but that allowed the broccolini to take center stage.

Now I'm coming up with more recipes to replace the grains with cauliflower couscous. Maybe I'll redo another favorite.

Cauliflower Couscous, before cooking
Cauliflower Couscous with Broccolini

1 comments:

rooth said...

Yikes - cutting out grains and dairy? You're one determined soul :)