Felt Play Food Tutorial: Tomato

Friday, August 6, 2021

How To: Felt Tomato How To: Felt Tomato

We're at the final standard multi-dimensional/multi-pieced felt play food tutorial. I've only made vegetables that I actually grow in my garden, but you can find other tutorials that use similar shapes around the internet, especially if you don't mind paying. This tomato is nearly identical in instructions to the Felt Eggplant Tutorial, as they're both rather typical multi-pieced/multi-dimensional stuffies...just with different leaves, and a little wider

I believe I used red and and bright green craft felt from JoAnn Fabrics, all my patterns are meant to fit on one or more sheets of felt. The tomato can all be done within one red felt sheet.

This pattern is inspired by While Wearing Heels - I Heart Fake Food - Felt Apple Tutorial...but I've turned it into a tomato, rather than an apple.

  1. Print the pattern below without scaling.
  2. Cut out the pieces in the quantities listed in the pattern.
  3. Take two of the red felt pieces, line them up, and sew along one edge. I like to start at the fatter end (i.e., the bottom). Stop sewing an inch or so short of the other end, so that you have room to fill the tomato.
  4. Do the same for the remaining two pieces of red felt. And then sew the two pairs of red felt together in the same fashion, right-sides facing. You should have an empty, inside-out tomato shell!
  5. Turn right-side out and stuff the tomato (I used fabric scraps which makes it lumpy - polyfill would be smoother).
  6. With a needle and thread, sew a loose running stitch along the top of the tomato, reasonably close to the edge of the fabric
  7. Pull the running stitch to cinch the tomato closed and secure the tomato top with several more hand-sewn stitches, before tying off.
  8. I like to machine-stitch some detail into the tomato leaf (the darker green star shape) before hand-stitching the leaf to the top of the tomato.

Felt Vegetable Pattern: Tomato and Pea

This pattern also includes the pattern for the Felt Pea play food tutorial, which is coming up shortly in our series. I try to save paper and combine the smaller patterns onto one sheet!



Return to the Felt Vegetables Tutorial Collection.

0 comments: