How To: Fur Leg Warmers

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Furry Legwarmers

One pair of furry, fingerless mitts does not a costume make. And so, I introduce to you furry leg warmers sewn from not-knit fabric. It seems to be a common pastime to turn one's old sweaters into leg warmers, but using less stretchy material seems rather rare. Here are the steps I followed to make my furry leg warmers, heavily inspired by Brody Qat's project.

The "scrunch amount" is necessary for wearing with heels, as well.

Materials
3/4 yard of faux fur, or other non-stretch fabric, depending on the measurements in the pattern
Enough wide elastic to wrap around beneath both your knees, cut into two pieces
Sewing needle, thread, scissors, etc.


The instructions are fairly basic, with only a minimal amount of math, and I give the measurements I used as an example. Although, if you're shorter than 5'11", my measurements will be way too long.

Remember to pull the long fur out of the seams with a pin. It makes the seams disappear!

Furry Legwarmers

Yeti Costume
  1. BYOV's How To: Yeti Hat or Simplicity pattern 2853 (gorilla hat)
  2. BYOV's No Sew Fur Vest or Costume Goddess' How To Cover a Costume Bra (with faux fur)
  3. BYOV's Simple Elastic-Waist Skirt Tutorial (faux fur + lined with blue cotton fabric with pockets in the lining hem)
  4. BYOV's How To Make Furry Leg Warmers
  5. BYOV's Faux Fur Fingerless Mitts DIY

10 comments:

Tiffany Kadani said...

Great DIY!

Alexa said...

OMG. Like a cute little sheep. These are darling.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I could ever pull those off, but they are so cute!

Jamie said...

I know I couldn't pull these off - but they are adorable

h said...

On Halloween, you can pull off anything ;)

Kaylia Payne said...

Is this for your Halloween costume? It's a great idea! Ahh yes, belly dancers really are serious costumers.

S.I.F. said...

This is shaping up to be a pretty fantastic Halloween costume!

Sam W. said...

this project is awesome!! perfect for this weekend :)

Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life In...Australia said...

Love it!

Leslie said...

I just made these and your directions are so great! Thx!